This is life, Live now...
Join my online Journal of Personal Adventure, Words and Photography...
Thanks for stopping by...
Smiles, Sherry

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Weekend review
















Productive weekend in Doha. Friday market shopping, then family Tennis match (I stink) but Chris made friends with Phillip our little next doot neighbor, Photoshoot at church (Catholic this week), Volunteered at school Elementary Olympic day, Girls painted piano keys in Ashlynn's room, Laid out at our wonderful pool, and I did 15 minutes of water wiggle, (my new made up exercise program in the hot tub). The weather this weekend was fabulous. Perfect. Sunny warm with a nice breeze. Yes, I am old if I discuss the weather, damn.
The highlight to me was the wholesale fish market on Friday morning. I about died after realizing I had no battery in my camera, what a sick feeling. I must go back. It was amazing, although the stinch was unbarable for the first 3 minutes, I tried real hard not to gag, then finally, something came over me and I started thinking it was cool instead of disgusting. The entire place is wet nasty fish guts on the floor, everyone entering had rolled up there pants and all these really old and dirty fishermen holding up crabs and lobsters and fish saying "scuse me madam, scuse me, buy my fish - very fresh"... We bought a huge Hammor 4 1/2 kilos and had it cleaned by the two men smiling in the picture. They were so excited to be on film, Chris told me I was interrupting the production. I missed the best shot though, they held the fish up but my darn camera went dead. I wished I could put a video on here so you could have heard the noise of it all, probably about 25 wrinkled faced 70 yr old fish cleaners all around the room with little tomahawk type axes beating the fish, chopping off thier heads and fins, bam bam bam, like a very loud weird sort of chaotic warrior beat. There were hundreds of all different kinds of people there, as Friday is the big crowd. I felt like I was in a movie, I was about the only girl in the place, definatley the only cute white girl. I'm not lying, felt pretty popular. Little smiling boys follow you around carrying a banana box to hold your slimy purchases. We paid 1 QR a Kilo for the Jumbo fish to be cleaned with an axe. That equals to less than $2. USD. Then tipped the little smiling Shi Lankan fish holder 10QR which included the cleaning of 3 kilos of shrimp, $3 bucks. We cooked it up for a large table consisting of mostly 16 yr old kids last night, and had left overs today. More pictures of that next time I go, hopfully next week when Kathy and Jeff Ix are here. Oh yes, visitors from Geneva. We are delighted.
I can't figure out how to do spell check... forgive me.

I am addicted to blogging.

1 comment:

deb did it said...

and I am addicted to reading. Blog on Sister! It's great to "see" you again.