This is life, Live now...
Join my online Journal of Personal Adventure, Words and Photography...
Thanks for stopping by...
Smiles, Sherry

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A little about life in Doha...

I LIVE HERE!

Now that I have the website up, I will try and concentrate this blog on mostly personal stuff with just a bit of photography. I realized after being in the states for 2-1/2 months that all my family and friends had so many questions about what it was like to live in the Middle East. So I am going to explain a few things with pictures so you all can see for yourself...


Right now it is Ramadan. This is a very holy time for the Muslims. I am not sure how I really feel about it. I admire the amazing will power these people have when they stop everything they do to say 5 long prayers everyday, which some are in the wee hours of the morning, like in the 4's. But to FAST for a entire month, WOW! I can't go 3 hours without a reeses peanut butter cup or handful of almonds every time I pass the kitchen. I remember when I had to take a blood test and had to fast for one morning until 9AM and I thought I was going to faint.

Now picture this... You are a Muslim laborer, working outside in the 120 degree sand storm, from 6AM to 6PM without one single swallow of water or food. How do they do that? Not only do they do it, they want you to do it too, or at least pretend you are.

IT IS ILLEGAL TO DRINK WATER WHILE YOU ARE IN YOUR CAR. Even if you are not Muslim!!! Now I am sorry, I do not agree with that. I am not asking them to hide Easter Eggs or drink Shiner Bock, or only have one wife! So we all drive around parched in and out of our 200 degrees cars from place to place, not drinking water to honor their religious beliefs. I do not mind honoring other religious beliefs, I have a spirit house and Buddha from Thailand, have great respect for my Jewish and Mormon friends, but shit I'm thirsty! Every single restaurant is closed all day and only opens at night. There is no place to have lunch but home. What's a gal to do? Oh and the shopping spots are closed now and then too. Can't shop - can't have lunch, might as well BLOG!

The only liquor store in the country closes for the entire month as well, so Chris went to "Stock Up".. along with 357 other expats... To look in my cabinets you would think we were full fledged alcoholics, I don't know how many but there are cases of wine in there. I didn't even have room for my orange juice. Kinda like you Gulf Coast folks last week hoarding the water and batteries at Kroger. Same deal except you can drink water if you are thirsty.

Today on the way to and from the grocery store I saw 3 wreaks. Not one, or two, but three! Now I know some of you guys that drive down I-45 to work and back in Houston could say you have seen 3 wrecks in a 2 hour period too, but what you do not understand is the grocery store is only 2 miles away! It's a rule to stop your car and DO NOT MOVE IT! So it causes a huge traffic jam, while everyone tries to blame the other. After I got home the nicely finely shredded Italian cheeses were a clump of melted mass!

These pictures are the not so beauty of Doha right outside our compound. This is our compound in the distance, in the middle of nowhere.
Little things you all take for granted... Like grass and trees!
Enjoy the freedom to drink water while driving.

Ciao Y'all!

Sher




3 comments:

Staci Danford said...

ok.... Must say that post made me laugh out loud. Thanks for you always fun humor and crack me up stories. What fun.
Staci

Unknown said...

Hi Girl, called my husband tonight and he was out with friends, what else can you do during Ramadan! He asked me if I missed it, and I had to say, NO, only missed my friends. 9 Ramadans was more than enough for me! You have pretty much summed it up. Enjoyed the story and your website also. I told someone at the school yesterday that I LOVED driving in Houston, and they thought I was crazy. I told them when you put your blinker on here, someone will actually let you in their lane, it doesn't mean speed up and cut me off! And speaking of stocking up - there were months I actually used my quota (that's pretty bad when it is over $800)! Hang in there - I think you only have 27 more days to go! xo Deb A

Oreste said...

A salute from Rome. Ciao